Friday, March 5, 2010

missionaries

The other day I was driving in a pretty shady part of town. I was stopped at a red light, and while I was waiting I spotted two young missionaries. They were on bike, riding down the street. I noticed immediately how they stood out. It wasn't just the fact that two young men of about 20 years of age were clean cut, wearing shirts and ties, and riding bikes through a part of town that I was almost too scared to drive in, but that did make an impression. What really made them stand out was the happiness I could literally see radiating from them. Most people know that I very rarely cry, but at this moment I teared up. Something hit me. At what to many seems like the most inopportune time to leave, these young men and young women give up EVERYTHING about their lifestyle and their own desires for 18 or 24 months and commit themselves 100% to doing the Lord's work. And miracles happen within that 18 or 24 months. Not only are the lives of those they come in contact with changed, the missionaries themselves come back with a literal understanding of the plan of salvation. They come back having learned what it really means to love others more than yourself, to serve the Lord with all your might, to be obedient, and to earnestly seek the Lord's council and will in all that they do. Missionaries are near and dear to my heart, as my little sister is off in a third world country, on the other side of the world, proclaiming the Gospel. And I am so overwhelmingly happy and proud of her. Every time I see a missionary, I can't help but smile. I am so lucky to know why I am here on earth at this time, that I came from the presence of a loving Heavenly Father and that I will get to return to His presence and be with my loved ones for all of eternity.

2 comments:

The Okamoto Clan said...

If there was a "like" button, I would have clicked it. Very true, I whole-heartedly agree! Thanks for your blog :)

Las Lunas said...

Bravo Amber. Bravo!